Proper Area Rug Care & Maintenance
When it comes to properly caring for your rug, professional cleaning at a wash facility is always recommended. Professional rug cleaners have the necessary knowledge, and equipment, to care for even the most delicate of rugs, and are more likely to give your rug the deeper cleaning it needs, than an at-home steam cleaner is.
We recommend that rugs are cleaned every one to three years depending on the amount of foot traffic the rug receives. (If there are pets in the house, rug cleanings should be done as needed. Which more often than not, is every year or multiple times per year.) The cleaning process will enhance the richness and the softness that area rugs are known for. However, improper maintenance can cause severe damage to the fibers, or loss of luster. In order to properly care for your rug, you can never go wrong with a professional cleaning.
However, there are many at-home tips we recommend for proper rug care:
- Vacuum your rug often (making sure not to not vacuum any fringe and tassels
- Clean up spills or stains as soon as they appear, or take your rug to be cleaned should the spill cause a potential stain
- Rotate your rugs at least once a year. This helps the rug to wear more evenly
- Some small rugs, or mats, such as bathroom rugs, can be washed in your laundry at home. Do this every few months as these rugs tend to be exposed to a lot of foot traffic and dirt.
- Read and comply with the manufacturer’s recommended cleaning methods in order to prevent warranty invalidation and damage to your rug.